Another fine set of results for students at The City Academy, Hackney.
- 86% of students achieved five or more A*-C grades
- 73% of students achieved five or more A*-C grades incl. English and maths; 20% above national average
- 45% of students achieved the English Baccalaureate; 20% above the national average
- 42% of students achieved at least three A*/A grades
- 90% of students achieved at least one A*/A grade.
- Every student, irrespective of their prior ability, left with at least one good GCSE, grade C and above
Since the academy’s inaugural set of GCSE results last summer, in January The City Academy, Hackney ranked top school in London and nationally for student progress, and today has followed that up with another excellent set of GCSE results; 73% of students achieved five or more A*-C grades (incl. English and maths), 20% above the national average.
Quote from Mark Emmerson, Principal:
“Another fine set of results for students at the academy but not quite reaching the headline levels of last year. At the C/D border students have been affected by the widely reported national grade boundary hikes in English and maths but our 5 A-C pass rate and our top end grades remain very strong. As always we are already focussing on any small improvements we can make for next year.”
Quote from Dawn Elliot on behalf of the governors and sponsors:
“We’d like to congratulate all students at The City Academy, Hackney on the hard work and commitment they’ve shown in their studies. We are proud that over 100 KPMG volunteers are among those parents, carers, staff and
sponsors who have helped and supported them along the way and played an important part in today’s achievements.
Our sponsorship of The City Academy, Hackney is at the heart of the work we do as a responsible business. Ensuring all children receive the highest possible standard of education is an essential driver for improving social mobility, which we see as one of the most important issues affecting the UK today.”
The City Academy, Hackney is sponsored by the City of London Corporation and KPMG.
Number one nationally for progress
In January, when the national school performance tables were released by the Department for Education, the academy was ranked top mixed comprehensive school in the country for student progress.
- Best mixed comprehensive school in the country for pupil progress and Value Added
- 2nd best school nationally for pupil progress overall (including faith schools)
- 2nd best school nationally for Value Added – progress of disadvantaged students
The City Academy, Hackney’s sixth form opened last September, extending its outstanding educational provision to post-16. At its first AS results day last week our Sixth Form cohort showed they were on track for some excellent A level results next year; 34% of grades were an A or B and the overall pass rage was 94%.
Speaking to the Sixth Form cohort, Principal, Mark Emmerson said: “No doubt a number of you will secure Oxbridge offers and the vast majority will be wanting to go to Russell Group or other prestigious Universities. The academy staff and sponsors will be working with you to help you achieve those ambitions… every step of the way.“