Our partnership with parents and carers plays a vital role in ensuring students achieve at the highest level. With this in mind, the academy is keen to encourage its parent/carer community to visit the academy regularly and support a range of volunteering opportunities born out of our well-established Parent Staff Association (PSA).
Ways to get involved
We understand the challenges parents face while supporting their child’s education and we know that many parents, in similar situations, have benefited from talking to one another.
The academy has a well-established Parent Staff Association (PSA) whose primary aim is to support communication between parents and the academy, and between parents themselves. The PSA hold open meetings and also run a range of events designed to help parents support their child(ren), including taster classes and social events, as well as running a second hand uniform shop.
Throughout the year the academy will be promoting its PSA events and encouraging parents/carers to sign-up to volunteer their time and/or expertise. If you’d like to join our PSA mailing list, please email our Communications Officer, Madeleine Connor: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The academy’s governing body comprises representatives from both sponsors, from the community, staff and three elected parents/carers. The role of the Parent Governor is the same as any other governor: attend meetings once every half term regarding the strategic direction of the academy in terms of both finance and the curriculum; hold the Principal to account; visit the academy annually, observing and assessing teaching and learning in an assigned subject area.
We currently have two Parent Governors in post: Stephen Webster and Sophie Conway, and one vacancy.
Parent Governor vacancy/election
If you are interested in becoming a Parent Governor at The City Academy, Hackney, please email Madeleine Connor, Communications Officer: email@example.com with a short paragraph explaining why you’d like to be a Parent Governor and what you will bring to the role, and a recent photo, by Thursday 18 May.
Timeline for nominations/election:
- Wednesday 3 May – all parents/carers invited to put themselves forward for the role, communicated via text and email
- Thursday 18 May – all candidates’ supporting statements and photos collected for inclusion in The City Times and ballot papers ready for Consultation Week
- Friday 26 May– all candidates’ supporting statements included in The City Times
- Monday 5 June – parents/carers vote during Year 7/8 Parent Day
- Tuesday 6 June – Friday 9 June – parents/carers vote during Consultation Week
- Wednesday 12 July – successful candidate informed and invited to Full Governing Body meeting on Wednesday 12 July
- Tuesday 18 July – Elected Parent Governor announced in The City Times.
More information available soon.